Saturday, October 20, 2012

More Information On Sagitah Restaurant


WCA member and local historian Linda McDonald wrote to fill me in on what she knows about the Sagitah restaurant. I was hoping that she had time to share her valley memories with us. Here is what she had to say. 

"As a child the name reminded me of Succotash (which I didn't like at all!). I have been coming to Woodland since 1948 and I remember in the early 50's, knowing we were almost home, on a Fri night, because you could see the lights of Sagitah, up on top of the hill there, as you came past Charlotte Jacobsen's, just past Krista Wrixen's house. The two big stone columns are still there, but those were always lit, too.
By about 1966 (or so) it had closed and Charlotte & Andy Jacobsen had bought the property and used to rent it out, as a summer cottage or cottages. Friends of my parents rented there about 1968 and that was the first time I got to go to the top of the road and see what it looked like from up there. It was a beautiful view then (may be all over grown by now?) It was called Sky High for a time, too. I don't know when it changed hands from the Jacobsen's or how many times, but I believe it is presently owned by the Knapp Family."
- Linda

PS - For those of you who don't know the people that Linda is referencing the old restaurant property is one driveway before the Holz farm on the same side of the street.