Saturday, September 5, 2009

More About Jewelweed

Jean Druffner sent me some more information on Jewelweed. Here is her message.

"Touch-Me-Not has that name because when one touches the seed case it will pop open and release the seeds. The seeds are edible and quite tasty. As with any wild foods, a little taste is best because there can be some acidic properties of many wild foods that can irritate the digestive system. I often pop the Touch-Me-Not and eat the seeds. I enjoy their nutty tastiness."

- Jean

I learned this fact the other day when I was researching Jewelweed for the blog. I ate some seeds today and they were great. Like Jean said, they have a nutty flavor and the seed pods pop open with such gusto it makes me smile. So they are both delicious and fun, try a few when you get the chance!