Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Final Facts About Jewelweed






















The last thing I wanted to post about Jewelweed was a couple of photos of the seed pods (above) before they are opened and the seeds themselves (below) after they are out of the pod. I have been having fun popping them and eating them the last few days. According to the information that I found, you throw out the curly part of the popped pod and eat only the seeds themselves. I have found that sometimes the seeds are green and sometimes they are brown.

By the way, I have personally had a lot of success treating stinging nettles rashes with Jewelweed. If you put the liquid from a crushed stem on any part of your skin that has come into contact with the nettles it takes the sting out. It takes a minute or two to work but I have found it to be very effective for me. And the great part is that they like the same growing conditions so they are very often found together in the woods. Try it next time you get into the nettles.