Thursday, May 15, 2014

Tommy Healy Dives Again

WCA member Tommy Healy went on his annual diving trip to Bonaire and got these spectacular photos. Here is what Tommy had to say.


My annual Scuba diving/photography trip to Bonaire yielded some nice pictures I'd thought I'd share.  Below are just a few.

Camera wise I used a Olympus Pen EPM 1 in an Pt  006 underwater housing.  With an Olympus UFL 2 Strobe. I used a +10 diopter lens for the small photos.

#1 A Spotted Cony rests on the reef interested in me and what I'm doing as I am of it.

#2 is a Lion fish. While it is a beautiful fish, it is not native to the Caribbean. It's pacific fish that was first seen off the coast of Florida about 15 years ago. It is now found throughout the Caribbean and as far up as Maine.  With no known predator, and the fact that it reproduces and eats constantly, Marine biologists are watching this fish and the damage it may cause to the ecosystem.  






#3 Is of me taken by my dive buddy along the reef by a large orange sponge. 

#4 is a portrait of a French Angelfish. 

#5 is the tip of a long coral. the name that I'm not sure. As one can see, this coral is open and actively feeding waiting to catch small bits of food that may drift by. 

#6 A Ramora,  A friendly fish usually found tagging along on a shark or turtle. 



#7 and #8 This particular dive it decided to tag along with me for about an hour riding on the back of my tank.

#9 is a Blenny about the size of a pencil tip living in an old piece of coral.  He is waiting for a meal to pass by and he'll dart out and grab it.

#10 Small Popcorn Shrimp (very small pencil tip size) who make their home on an Anemone

#11 A Peacock Flounder

#12  a Yellow Trumpet Fish and Spanish Hog Fish. Trumpet Fish will sometimes ride close to another fish, as this one is doing. Maybe trying to protect itself blending in with the larger Hogfish.


#13  A very small Peterson Shrimp. (again pencil tip size)