Monday, March 1, 2010

Recovering from 'Snowmageddon'

The snow has finally stopped (at least for now). The valley is digging (and melting) out of this last storm. As far as I know everyone has power and phone again. The plow guys and gals have mostly caught up with their work. Most driveways are clear (but not all so remember to check before you come). Some people who have left cars on their properties while they are down in the city will have some work ahead of them digging themselves out. But maybe by next weekend it will have melted enough to be an easy job, let's hope so.

We are very, very fortunate that the temperatures have been in the 30s because the large piles of snow seem to be melting at a good rate.

Basically the valley is back to normal. The road is still much narrower than usual at the end of the valley but I would say that is only an issue in the last 2 miles. Drive slowly and carefully if you come up this end. There is not much room to pull over.

There are still a lot of broken tree limbs all over the road and on individual properties but once the snow is melted that won't be too hard to clean up.

Other than that I think we have survived. All in all, while it was inconvenient, it wasn't too bad. I look at it this way, I had water, a wood stove and plenty of food. Plenty of help was always in reach. It wasn't like we were the Donner Party (by the way, kudos to the WCA member who made the documentary about them, it is one of my favorites). We weren't stuck for months with nothing. I always find it helpful to retain my perspective. So all is well at this point but if I wasn't looking forward to spring before, I am now!!!!!

PS - If you can't get to your property to check on it yourself please do send someone else to make sure everything is OK. Most houses are fine but a couple of people have had problems.