Monday, March 8, 2010

Anniversary Poem by Boreegard

Woodland Valley's own Poet Laureate, Mike O'Neil, created this piece for his wife on their 44th anniversary. With all the weather we have been having I haven't had a chance to post it. Thanks for sharing Bo!!


Notes on the Eve of the 44th

We have reservations for the Mill on the River
For tomorrow night.
Our favorite local place to eat and drink,.
Though it is not the Poste Couche in Frankfurt.

The Poste Couche was a high tone
Restaurant on Rueter Wege,
Where on our first anniversary,
They treated us rather snottily.

That is, until I insisted on inspecting the cork.
My daddy’d taught me that,
And after I squeezed it and smelled it,
The staff treated us with a proper respect.

This will be our 44th official year together,
Though in Deutschland we were together,
In her B.O.Q. and in the countryside,
Before we tied the official knot.

How delicious were those days,
Before the children came,
When she would listen to me sing,
And I would stroke her hair and more.

She, nursing the sick and weary,
And me guarding the perimeter,
With a proper high powered .45 pistola,
And a billy club painted black.

Slim and muscled we were,
And surrounded by friends,
Dragooned into the service,
By the process of the draft.

But in the end, happy for it all.
As memory slides away, and
One forgets the inevitable ugly parts,
Happy for it all, after 44 years.


Boreegard
aka Mike O'Neil

Feb. 21, 2010