Saturday, February 13, 2010

Searching for History

I received the letter below from Claude Yerry's great-grandson. For those of you who don't know, Claude was a well known figure in Woodland Valley. He was primarily a mason and built a lot of the fireplaces in the valley. But he was also a builder, handyman and caretaker. His great-grandson is searching for history regarding both Claude and the other members of his family. I have already emailed this letter to the folks I know who have collected the lion's share of our history. If anyone else has any information to pass along I am sure Richard would greatly appreciate it.
-Carol

"I have had more than a passing interest in Woodland Valley and its history for as long as I can remember. My great-grandfather, Claude Yerry lived most of his adult life there, where my uncle still owns his former home. He was a well-known personage in the area as I am sure you are aware. I actually got to know Claude as a child and wish I could have known him as an adult. There are many stories of his bear hunting exploits and numerous family stories and folklore. I try to write them down when my uncle talks about Claude so they are not lost to future generations. I know he talked at Camp Woodland many years ago, and I have a reproduction of a photograph taken of him there. And the WV View published a picture of him a while back that I had not seen before and no one in the family has. It got me to wondering if there are any others around. Claude's house burned down at one point, so most of his family photos were lost. I have just a few that I treasure. But I have none of his wife, Annie Garrety, sadly. And I know his home once stood at the basin of the Ashokan Reservoir and was moved to its current location. Would it be possible for The View to put out word that I am researching Woodland Valley and especially Claude Yerry so someone may see it and contact me? I am most interested in photos of people/places in the valley and stories that may be of interest. I have heard one that involved a member of the Simpson Family taking an old Model A or T Ford from the head of the valley up and over to Oliverea, but I cannot confirm it. I have thoughts in the back of my mind about actually turning my research and interest into an actual book. I still visit the valley often and stay at Claude's old house when I am there. I hike all the surrounding mountains and have done so for the past 55 years. I treasure the valley and its history, first as Snyder Hollow and now as Woodland, and would welcome a name change back to the original, although I know that would be impossible.
Anyway, let me end my rambling and get back to matters at hand. Please let me know if you are willing/able to assist me in my quest. I do know that Lonnie Gale has quite a bit of information and he has been of great help to me in the past. Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon, perhaps with a positive response."

Regards,

Richard Barley
Phone: (845) 384-6785
Address: PO Box 225
West Park, NY 12493
Email Address: barrchrd@aol.com