Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Claude Yerry History Search Continues

A few posts back I published a letter from Claude Yerry's great-grandson Richard Barley. He was looking for anyone with history about his family or about the valley in general. One of the letters I received in response was this one from Jay Simpson. Here is what he had to say.
- Carol

Attached are some pictures that may be of interest. The first one is a variation of the one of the five bears that appeared in the October 22, 2008 edition of the blog. Only this time Claude Yerry is on the left. The person standing on the right with the Winchester is my uncle Carroll F. Simpson (1894-1965). The person with the knife is unknown.

The other two photos are of the 1921 Model T mentioned below. It was very modified and was more of a buggy, but a lot of fun. I drove it myself awhile. The first is on some trail, but I can't say where. The people in the picture are, at left, Dave Hillson, area forest ranger in the 1930s; Freddy Stewart, arms out stretched, and my father, Mickey Simpson (1904-1994). The second picture shows the Model T next to our house in Phoenicia. The women on the left is Alice Dibble, the one on the right is unknown.

I have a lot of unlabeled photos that may contain additional pictures of Claude as I know our family knew him well.

You can see another picture of Dave Hillson at:
http://nysforestrangers.com/rangers-pictorial3.htm
find: (Forest Rangers and Observers, District 6, Fleischmanns)

You can find out more about the Simpson family at www.phoenixtannery.com

- Jay

PS - I just wanted to add that if you look closely at the picture of the Model T between the two trees, you'll see that there was a second one right behind it. Each one only held two people and there was four people involved in the picture. So there must of been two very similar conversions. I don't know who owned the second one. - Jay