Saturday, February 27, 2010

Rough Conditions






















So sorry that I haven't kept all of you up to date on the weather. Power and phone have been out in the valley all day. I actually haven't had any power since Thursday although I have had phone until now. The previous couple of blog entries you see were things that I had pre-scheduled. Right now I am blogging in Sweet Sue's. They were kind enough to let me sit here and use their WiFi. Conditions in the valley are challenging. I would say we have gotten somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 feet of snow (total from both storms). The good part is that that it has already melted down a bit. The bad part is that to keep the road clear the plows have made the banks on the side very high and it is a strenuous dig just to clear a place to put your car.

A lot of the driveways have not been plowed. Those of us who hire people who also work for the town have had to wait because the town guys have been working non-stop. I am sure they would plow us if they could get a few hours off but I since the snow hasn't stopped in days I am sure they haven't been off work in a while. Other folks have had problems with their trucks. This snow is very deep and heavy and I am hearing that several people have broken down.

The WV road conditions are better at the beginning of the road then at the end. Everything up to about Fawn Hill is pretty clear. After that it gets more challenging. Up around my house WV road becomes essentially one lane. There are downed tree limbs everywhere. There was a lot of snow hanging in the trees this morning but there is less now. The upside of that (I am a Pollyanna at heart) was that the valley was breathtakingly beautiful this morning. The downside is that the trees are leaning on the power lines and over the road. Their limbs are breaking and falling, making a big mess.

If you decide to come this way I would make sure you talk to your plow guy/gal and check to see if they have done your driveway. I would also bring a shovel to get from the driveway to the house and for clearing steps. It helps to have one with you.

In a little bit of news from the broader town I heard this morning that the snow has collapsed at least part of the roof of the Phoenicia Diner.

I also just heard that we are expecting another storm on Wednesday. Yipes!! When this weather is all over I would recommend those of you who can't get to the valley yourselves send someone to check on your house.

I will post more about the conditions and some additional photos as soon as I have another chance.