Sunday, February 28, 2010

Report from the Valley

I took the photos below over the course of the last few days. I tried to show you all how deep the snow is up here. The first photo is the Giant Ledge trailhead parking lot. The second photo is the recycling station at the campground.

As of last night the phones are back on, hopefully they will stay that way. Some of the valley got power back again last night. I still do not have it. NYSEG is out there again today working on it. Let's hope it comes back on later.

The driveways that I pass on my way to town are beginning to be cleared. My plow guy came with his backhoe and got my driveway open all the way to the house.

In news of the broader town my friend in Mt. Tremper hasn't had phone or power since Thursday. Phoenicia itself has had power and phone on and off. Right now it is on.

Road conditions seem to be improving. And as I said yesterday it is a blessing that the temperatures are in the high 20s to low 30s. The snow seems to be melting down each day. I just wish we could get one bright sunny day to melt it faster. But those without power should feel better that with the temperatures being where they are there is less of a chance of pipes freezing in houses without heat.

All in all things aren't too bad. The snow has really never stopped though. It is falling lightly today and now the weather channels are calling for another bigger storm on Wednesday. I guess we will see. I will keep you posted!