Sunday, January 24, 2010

More on the Owl

Last week, after Rolf Reiss sent me the photo of the owl he had seen in his backyard during the day, I had a chance to look at the picture a little more closely. I noticed that the owl's right eye was slightly closed indicating that he might have injured it in some way. I emailed Rolf and we both thought that maybe he had vision problems and didn't get enough food at night and that was why he was hunting in the daylight. It is just a theory though so I am putting the photo up and you can all see what you think.

As a sidebar, one of my friends in Mt. Tremper has also seen an owl in her backyard in the daytime. I wonder if it could be the same one? I am not sure as to the extent of their hunting range. If anyone out there can share more information that would be great.