Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stocking the Woodland Valley Stream

Every year on the Monday of Memorial Day Weekend and the Monday of 4th of July weekend (this date is a little different every year) some generous locals stock the Woodland Valley stream with brown trout. We all meet the fish truck at the entrance to Roxmor, then proceed up the valley and turn around. We then caravan back down the valley behind the truck, stopping frequently to take turns putting buckets of fish into the stream. The stocking goes on all the way down to the Grandview area and then finishes off with some refreshments and good cheer. A lot of the people that participate in the stocking are fisherman but not all (I myself have never cast a line into the stream). If you have never participated I highly recommend it.

At this time of year Mike O’Neil collects the donation money to pay for the trout stocking. Here is a letter from Mike and the address where you can donate if you feel so inclined.

From Mike O’Neil –
My conversion to the divine pursuit of fly fishing came at the hands of my father who took me down to the brook when I was twelve, equipped me with the second best fly rod in the cabin (my mother’s nicely balanced Shakespeare glass rod) and started me out with a Royal Coachman dry with white bucktail wing (Chile Allam’s favorite fly). On my ninth cast I hooked and caught a 14 inch wild rainbow. “JESUS!!!” my father intoned loudly, keep the tip up, Mike, keep the line tight!!!” I did, and have been a fly fisherman ever since—with strong ties to Woodland Brook, which become steadily more indelible as I age.
Now I will not be coy. And, I will suffer no youthful attack of embarrassment as I ask you to contribute to this year’s stocking fund. The exact number of fat, healthy, spirited Brown Trout that we put into the stream will be defined to some extent by your munificence in response to this letter. Your generous and prompt response will, as always, be greatly appreciated.

To help us stock the stream, please send a check, made out to THE WOODLAND TROUT FUND, to Mike O’Neil, 101 Rambling Road, Vernon, CT 06066.

Many thanks,
Mike