Sunday, May 29, 2011

Great Diving Photos from Tom Healy

Tom Healy recently got back from a diving trip and sent me these great images. Now that I see them I feel like dusting off my diving license! Check what Tom has to say:

"I spent 2 weeks diving in Bonaire Netherlands Dutch Antills. Sergeant major fish is a common damsel fish found in the Caribbean. I had a chance to photograph. a nesting pair for 8 days. They commonly lay there eggs on flat surfaces. The below photos show the purple egg nest on an overturned sunken boat at a depth of 40 feet. They develop over 9 days starting with a solid color egg. Each egg is the size of the head of a pin. So I used a close up lens to get a better view. The parents spend each day swimming in circles around the nest fanning (oxygenating) the eggs. The eyes seem to develop fastest, as seen below. The last photo of the eggs show them hours before they hatched. This obviously happened at night as they and the parents were gone the next morning, leaving only a blenny to feast on the leftovers." Tom