Tuesday, November 6, 2007

When Dakin Was President

From Dakin Morehouse -

Did I ever tell you the story of when I got drafted as WVA president years ago? Late 70’s I believe. It was after Charlie Wapner’s long regime and I said I would accept on one condition – that we would drop the backroom politics and get to know our neighbors through block parties and the like.
I even started “The Valley Echo” newsletter with a sketch of the classic scene of Terrace Mt with the Wittenberg peeking above.
As fate would have it, that summer 3, 32 unit condos were planned to be built up Cross Mt. above Toneska. After many weeks of ‘rallying around the (Woodland Valley) flag’ they said we had the biggest turnout at Town Hall to date – and in the Q&A part we asked if they had done a perk test. “Of course.” And where? One of the several engineers walked up to one of the many visual aids and maps prepared for the presentation and put his finger right on a spot that many of us knew to be the center of the old beaver pond (now below Dershawitz’s).
Well, the packed hall roared with laughter and fortunately the project was dropped.
Wish it was that easy these days …