Saturday, July 30, 2011

Spring Time on Giant Ledge























Paul Misko sent me this post a couple of days ago. Read on:

"A couple weeks ago I was on a hike with a forestry expert to check out the population of Ash trees. We bushwhacked up the western slope of Giant Ledge, and had lunch on the summit. Along the way I spied a few wild orchids in bloom. This orchid is called "Platanthera Orbiculata", and I've found these on other mountains in the area as well. On the way down, just below the summit, is the spring. The water is always flowing, and frigid, and since I finally remembered to bring a thermometer, I checked the temp. The water was 43 degrees!! My theory is that all winter long, the rock crevasses on the summit fill up with ice, which then slowly melts and filters through the rocky soil. If the recent heat wave is beating you down, then run up to the spring for a cold drink."
- Paul Misko