Sunday, January 18, 2009

Garden Opportunity




















































Here is a message from WCA member Nick Alba. These photos are so great to look at right now when everything is frozen and covered with a fresh coat of snow. I was beginning to forget why I live here.

"It's getting bitterly cold out there and cabin fever is starting to set in. Now is the perfect time to start thinking Spring, so check out these photos of my vegetable garden from last summer. I've been growing vegetables here for the last 25 years and I still have plenty of stuff in my freezer from last fall's harvest. My garden has the potential to pump out a lot more food than I could ever use. I love growing vegetables, but at this stage of my life the garden can take a lot more work and and dedication than I care to devote to it.

I thought that there might be a few people in our community who might be interested in participating in a cooperative garden, sort of a very small scale CSA. I'd be interested in talking to folks who would like to dedicate some time and effort throughout the growing season. They don't need a knowledge of gardening, and they have the opportunity for plenty of input as to what they would like to grow within the confines of my garden. The harvesting can start as early as May and extends into the fall, depending upon weather conditions. Work in the garden commences when the weather warms up in April . There are plenty of great seedling varieties available in season, but those inclined to start their own sand seeds should do so sometime in March."

- Nick Alba

Anyone who is interested can contact Nick at nick-alba@earthlink.net