Tuesday, April 8, 2008

DEP To Fly Over Woodland Valley Stream

Here is a message from geologist Dan Davis of the DEP:

I am a geologist with NYC DEP’s Stream Management Program and am responsible for stream management planning for the Esopus Creek watershed. You may be familiar with the collaborative work we have been doing on the Esopus with Cornell Cooperative Extension (www.esopuscreek.org). In this ongoing effort to improve stream management practices in the Esopus Creek watershed I am responsible for coordinating and completing stream assessment activities. I have found the best first step to be reconnaissance of the stream corridor by helicopter. From that unique vantage point I can obtain continuous video footage and aerial digital still photos of the Esopus Creek corridor and its tributary system. I have been doing this since 2003. I use the videography and photography for qualitative assessment of channel condition and to document changes through time. I also use the videography and photography in public presentations as education/outreach tools. I am currently planning to fly on April 22 along the Esopus corridor and hope to do so for the Woodland Valley corridor as well. We hope to walk and map most of the Woodland Valley creek corridor condition this summer. I am also interested and available to meet with any residents to discuss our assessment plans for Woodland Valley this summer and to go over our imagery. My contact information is provided below.

Most Sincerely,
Dan Davis

_________________________________
Dan Davis, Project Manager/Geologist
NYCDEP Stream Management Program
71 Smith Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401
845-340-7839
_________________________________