Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine´s Day














When I was younger Valentine's Day was always a challenge for me. If there was someone in my life there was always the pressure to make the day something special, plan the perfect dinner and gift. Sometimes it was more successful than others but my expectations were high and many times I was disappointed. If there was no one special, that presented a whole different sent of difficulties. And, in those years of loss (a death in the family, a breakup) Valentine's Day could make me miserable. Since I am not a conventional person, it was then that I decided that Valentine's Day, in it's universally accepted form, didn't work for me. So I made my own rules and decided to turn it into a day of gratitude and gratefulness for all things good and beautiful in my life, not just a celebration of romantic love. I try to spend the day thinking of everything and everyone that I love, and, if possible, I express that love and gratitude directly. I email friends and family and I count my blessings. Its funny, when I do this I am filled with the love and joy that I never got going to fancy restaurants or getting boxes of chocolate. So, today, among other things, I am grateful for this wonderful place we all love and call home and all the fantastic people who live here. Happy Valentine's Day!!

PS - I did not Photoshop the above image. The rock was actually drying in the sun and I noticed the shape in the middle. A message from the universe?