Friday, January 3, 2014

No Worse Than Last Time

















The sun is out and the cleanup of this latest weather event has begun in earnest. I personally didn't think it was so bad. There has been some drifting this morning but by my snow ruler we got about 10 inches. Just a bit less than last time. And it is super light and fluffy so cleanup seems fairly easy.

They were forecasting big winds but although we have had some gusting and blowing snow (see photo above) that really hasn't been bad either…at least so far. I think the worst of this storm went to the northeast. I was afraid that if the wind was bad we would get power or phone outages but that never happened.

The road seems clear and although I haven't driven into town to confirm it, the trucks have been up and down all night and day so I don't think there are any problems there.

The real story here is the cold. It is about 6 degrees now and the temps are forecasted to drop into the subzero range tonight. I think they are predicting -9 in Phoenicia. So the trick will be to get warm and stay warm.

Once I finish the cleanup I myself plan on staying close to home and baking to further warm the house. But for now it is back outside to shovel the snow. I think a chocolate chip cookie is a proper reward for a day of shoveling, don't you?