Monday, October 7, 2013

Loving My Bee Balm























Although we still haven't had a hard frost, the growing season here in the valley is coming to a close. At this point I am looking around my property and pondering what I planted that did well and what did not and making plans for next year.

One of the favorite things I grow around my house is Bee Balm (also known as Bergamot). It is native to the Catskills (which is a good thing), spreads well (actually I find it to be slightly invasive) and looks great. And the most amazing extra benefit of it is that the butterflies, bees and hummingbirds (especially the hummingbirds) love it. During the summer I would say there is a hummingbird in it about every 10 minutes.

I thought I would pass my thoughts about this on to the rest of my neighbors. You might want to consider planting some yourselves. That way you can ditch those hummingbird feeders that you have to clean and refill all the time. Plant some bee balm and get the same results. It it bright and cheery and blooms for several months. And you will love having those charming little birds around all day without having to do any work. Just a thought.