Monday, November 1, 2010

Phoenicia Times Ceases Publication

In the past day or so I realized that, since the closing of the Phoenicia Times was such a hot topic around town, I forgot to post it on the blog for those of you who have not been in the area recently. The October 7th issue of the paper was the last (although you can still view the archives at http://www.phoeniciatimes.com/).

Shandaken is now without a local newspaper, a sad state of affairs indeed. The Woodstock Times is giving a special discount to Shandaken residents in an effort to pick up the local customer base. They are offering a 6 month subscription for $10.00. Also the Wathershed Post will be posting some news of our area online if you want to check them out. And for those of us here in the valley, I will still be keeping you up to date on this blog.

Last Friday night was the closing party for The Phoenicia Times at the Emerson Spa & Resort and from all accounts it was well attended and great fun! I was trying to go myself but I didn't get back from my assignment in time (yes kids, your blogmistress has to work once in a while). I am very sad to see the paper go and wish the entire staff best of luck in the future!