Friday, May 7, 2010

'Into the Deep' Premieres May 10th on PBS






















Woodland Community Association members Ric Burns (writer, director, producer) and Bonnie LeFave (producer) premiere their latest project, 'Into the Deep' next Monday night on PBS.

A fantastic sea adventure, a cautionary economic and environmental tale, and a mythic saga of man and nature, INTO THE DEEP: AMERICA, WHALING AND THE WORLD, from filmmaker Ric Burns, tells the thrilling and epic story of three centuries of American whaling, and explores the unique relationship between American whaler and the giant creature they hunted for their precious oil: a high-quality illuminant that lit the drawing rooms of Europe and greased the wheels of the Industrial Revolution.

Ric's other films have included 'The Way West', 'New York', The Donner Party (one of my personal favorites), 'Ansel Adams' and 'Andy Warhol' just to name a few. To see a complete list you can go to Steeplechase Films. If you visit the American Experience site you can watch 'The Donner Party' online. Just click on this link (American Experience: The Donner Party) and it will take you there. If you have Netflix I suggest you put these films in your queue. For those of you who would like to own these excellent documentaries you can get them at the PBS online store.

I am not going to try and pretend I am too cool to be a fan. I think Ric's work is AWESOME! I just rented his 'Ansel Adams: A Documentary Film' and I plan to watch it ASAP. I also plan to tune in on Monday to see this new work. I am sure it will be amazing!

Again, 'Into the Deep' will be broadcast on Monday, May 10th on PBS. Please check your local listing or go to the American Experience website for more information.