Saturday, February 2, 2013

More History About the Simpson Ski Slope

I haven't posted any history about the valley in quite a while. Recently Jay Simpson forwarded me a couple of emails shared between he and Rolf Reiss (one of the Woodland Valley historians). The messages were regarding the old Simpson Ski Slope (which Jay's family formerly owned) located at Romer Mountain Park (situated at the beginning of Woodland Valley Road). I think everyone in the association will enjoy their correspondence as well as the photos that go along with them. Here is the exchange.

Hello Jay,

..... I am sure you remember what those rope tows felt like  on a freezing rainy day with no one else on the rope to help hold it up. On one  such day my mittens froze to the rope and when I tried to ski away from it at  the top I was unable to disconnect my mittens from the rope. I still recall the  feeling of being picked up off the ground as I began to head towards that steel  car rim mounted to the pole above me. At some point my mittens broke free from  the rope and I came crashing down on the snow covered ground.  I had the  wind knocked out of me and my pride was slightly damaged but I took right off on  another run. I am sure that you and your family members have a million great  memories of that wonderful  place. I drive past there at least two times a  day and can never get away without recalling something joyful that I experienced there.......

Best,
Rolf

_____________

Hi,

Notice the shingles on the roof of the ski hut. They used remnants of shingles gathered from other jobs to complete the roof. The original hut was built on conjunction with the Phoenicia Ski Club. This was long before the c.1964 addition.

The CCC boys cleared the land... every tree, only to realize that the wind would blow the snow off the slope. So a number of fir trees were re-planted to protect the slope. The pictures of a treeless slope shows the true contour of the land. A portion of the ski train that came up the West-Shore Railroad from Weehawken through Kingston can be seen parked on the siding. 

- Jay