Sunday, April 24, 2016

Not A Good Year

Many of you know that I over the past 20 years I have laboriously planted thousands of daffodils in my yard. Each spring I wait patiently to observe the fruits of my labor. But this year has been disappointing. There were hardly any flowers. About 1/2 to 1/3 of the blubs never got any flower shoots at all. And, since the weather has continuously bounced back and forth between winter and spring, the cold temps and snow have taken a toll on the flowers that did bloom.

Since daffodils need a dormancy period, I initially thought that the warmer winter had affected  the bulbs adversely. But then I noticed that every one of the bulbs that I planted this fall bloomed. So now my hypothesis is that it was the extreme dryness of last summer that affected the flowering (or lack thereof) of the bulbs this spring. I don't know if that is really the case, but that is my unscientific guess.

So, my apologies to any of you waiting to see the daffodil show at my house. Just like me you will all have to wait until next year.