Sunday, April 7, 2013

First Daffodil























Well, spring is finally in the air here in the Catskills. Sometime during the middle of last week there was a change in the weather. It happens every year. I never can put my finger on exactly what changes, and the difference is very subtle, but suddenly you wake up one day and it feels less like a warm winter morning and more like a cool spring one. The difference is slight, almost imperceptible, but something IS different and FINALLY the nice weather seems just around the corner. I think of it as the first real morning of spring and breathe a huge sigh of relief. It has been a long winter.

And with the change in the weather comes the blooming. Today, I saw both the first Colt's Foot, and my first daffodil. The daffodil wasn't very large (about the size of a quarter) but it is a sign that the rest are coming soon. Those of you who know me know that I live to see my daffodils bloom. It will probably be another 2 weeks until the majority of them are in full flower, but they are coming!!!!

The birds are returning too. This week I have heard them chirping and calling to one another in the early morning. Woodpeckers, mourning doves, tufted titmice, red winged blackbirds, robins and assorted others, what a lovely sound. And soon our human snow birds will be coming home. So the birds and the nice weather are returning and the valley is coming alive. God I love the spring!