Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mushroom Mystery Solved

I am very excited! I received this message today with information about the mushroom that I found and posted a few days ago. Here is what the email said:

"My name is Ann Marie Misko sister in law to Paul Misko. I was looking over the site when I saw your mushroom. I found some information on it for you. I found this information in the National Audubon Society pocket guide that we just happen to carry around just for moments like this.

It is called a Scarlet Cup (Sarcoscypha coccinea)
In North America it is recognized as a harbinger of Spring. In the far west, it is a winter mushroom. Despite its bright red color, it is not always readily visible as it may be covered by leaves or partially melted snow. In such instances, its accidental discovery can be a startling experience. The mature mushroom may last for several weeks.

Identification: Saucer shaped to cup shaped, from 1-2 1/2" wide, with incurved rim. Inner surface of cup scarlet; outer surface whitish with tiny hairs. Stalk usually absent, but when present it is short and white.
Edibility: Unknown; reportedly tastes pleasant.
Similar Species: The Stalked Scarlet Cup (S. occidentalis) is smaller and has prodominent white stalk. The Hairy Rubber Cub (Galiella rufa) is reddish brown.
Habitat: On twigs and branches lying on the ground, usually partially covered. Occurs singly or in small groups.
Range: Eastern North America; West Coast

I hope this information was helpful. It was very exciting for me to be able to find it. Thank you and have a good day."

- Ann Marie Misko

Thanks so much Ann Marie!!! I am so happy you shared this information with us!