Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Whisper Of Snow

As the valley shuts down and closes in for the winter the weather is more and more on everyone's minds. We had our first frost just last week which killed some, but not all, of my outdoor plants. We really have yet to get a really hard frost. But I am sure it is not too far in the future.

It has been raining on and off since last Wednesday, sometimes heavily. Some of the days in between have been warm and gorgeous. But as I glanced out the window this morning, the rain turned briefly to snow. That is not unusual. I have noticed that in most years, the earliest flurries come during the first weekend in November. While expected they may be, for me at least, they are not a welcome sign. But, at least for now, the snow didn't last long or stick.

But it is definitely a harbinger of things to come and no grumbling or grousing on my part is going to keep the cold weather from arriving. Hopefully, you all have your fall chores done and are ready for "the big dark", as one of the neighbors sons used to call it.

I will do my best to keep you all informed via this blog. And I must admit, there is something to be said for a warm fire, a big down comforter and a nice hot toddie. Maybe winter won't be totally horrible after all. One way or other I will keep you all posted.