Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Lots Of Water - Not Much Wind

We had a lot of rain in the valley today. I am not sure exactly how many inches fell but it came down very hard for most of the day. Thankfully it has basically stopped at this point.

I was out and about at around 6:30 this evening and there was some minor flooding along Woodland Valley Road. The worst spot was in the area of the Holz Farm. The WV Creek had jumped it's banks and was flowing completely over the road. It was the same place where the road washed out during Hurricane Irene last year. Of course it was not as bad as that incident but it was still significant. There were several other places that water  came over the road but they were more minor.

I have the USGS gage at the mouth of Woodland Creek set to automatically email me when the creek gets over 7 feet. I got my first alert at 5:48 when the creek was at 7.57ft. The highest level it reached was at 8.07 feet where it remained until around 8:30 and then it started to recede.

I went through town at about 6:45 and all was well. The Espous Creek came up over 14 feet but that is usually under the levels that begins to flood Main Street. Shandaken had declared a state of emergency but I think that was just a precaution. After the hurricane last year we all know it is better to be safe than sorry.

As for the effects of all this water in Woodland Valley, some of the folks along the road have told me that they got water in their basements. The lights flickered on and off briefly but didn't go out for more than a few seconds. The cable went out briefly when that happened too. But that is back to normal as well. There is a large tree limb across some wires mid-valley so that could have caused that situation.

Luckily, so far, the winds have not been bad. The highest winds that I saw at my house were in the early afternoon. But they didn't last for very long so we were lucky in that respect.

So that's the story from the valley this evening. All seems well again after a long soggy day.