Sunday, December 7, 2008

December Deer de Bo

Here is another wonderful poem from WCA member Mike O'Neil aka Boreegard.

December Deer

We decorate in full measure around here for Christmas,
By WE I mean my wife. I carry, lift, and heft, and
Am occasionally asked if the wreath is straight or if the,
Ribbon is red enough. But she is the Wassail general, and I am,
A mere buck private in the readying for the 25th.

I am ordered to anchor eight ersatz deer,
Three metal ones in the back, held down by heavy rocks,
Three wooden white ones in front, anchored by wire and spikes,
So that the winter winds will not carry them off,
And two others of indiscriminate natural material.

This morning a fine, well meated yearling buck,
Came nonchalantly a-grazing on Ma’s remaining ferns,
And later as I drove up the high driveway,
There were three more deer in healthy winter coats,
Why, I wonder, should I do ersatz, when Nature provides the real?

Because, just because,
The ephemeral answer comes,
She Who Must Be Obeyed has commanded it,
A reminiscence of Christmas past requires it,
And a dollop of sweet love insists upon it.


Boreegard
December, 2008